The aim of this e-course is to support pharmacy professionals to provide a person-centred approach to care for people who use and misuse substances.
To facilitate your learning, we have structured the course into four units. Some units are larger than others, but we estimate that you will need to commit an average of three hours of learning for each unit.
- Unit 1 – Individual experience of substance use and misuse
- Unit 2 – Risks and challenges of substance use and misuse and associated harm reduction services
- Unit 3 – Recovery and treatment
- Unit 4 – Delivering holistic and seamless care
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- explain why people misuse substances and the impact it has on their lives and the lives of those around them
- identify the risks associated with substance use and misuse
- apply the principles of harm reduction to your practice when sharing information and providing commissioned pharmacy services for substance misuse
- describe the actions you can take to support a person’s substance misuse recovery and treatment journey
- identify the substance misuse multidisciplinary team in your local area and how you can work together to support people with problematic substance use
- demonstrate a holistic, person-centred approach to the care of different groups of people who use or misuse substances
- support and develop your pharmacy team to provide safe, effective, and holistic substance misuse services.
How to use this programme
Our e-courses are run online. The programme runs in Canvas™ and you will be registered by CPPE and informed of your login details. This e-course is self-directed. This means that you can work through the course at a time and pace that suits you. There is a menu on the left hand side of the page to navigate through each area and you can access each unit and its content separately.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Trainee pharmacists