This event is only for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians who are taking part in one of the primary care extended education pathways.
The aim of this case study and associated online workshop is to update your clinical knowledge on type 2 diabetes and its associated complications and apply this to people with complex medical needs. To complete the learning for this case, you will also need to access the ‘Role of the Dietician in Primary Care’ webinar. To find the booking information please access your cohort page on the canvas pathway notice board.
On completion of all aspects of this learning progrmame you should be able to:
- describe non-diabetic hyperglycaemia and explain strategies to support people to prevent or delay the development of type 2 diabetes and its complications
- optimise medicines for people with type 2 diabetes, atrial fibrillation, stroke and Alzheimer’s disease - taking multimorbidity, frailty and holistic needs into account
- develop a pharmaceutical care plan for a person living with type 2 diabetes, considering strategies to manage diabetes and related co-morbidities
- describe the importance of person-centred care for people with Alzheimer’s disease
- develop a pharmaceutical care plan for a person living with atrial fibrillation (AF) and those who subsequently have a stroke
- recognise covert administration and be able to advise care home staff appropriately
- make appropriate recommendations for medicines administration for people with swallowing difficulties
- describe the additional care required for people who have percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tubes
- show an understanding of national guidelines and local guidance for the provision of optimum nutritional care in care homes
- explain the role of the dietitian in a care home setting
- discuss the challenges of meeting the nutritional needs of care home residents.
How to use this programme
We deliver our online workshops using Zoom. You will have received a separate email (from the lead tutor via Zoom) with a unique link to join this Zoom event. Please do not share this link with others. The email allows you to add the event to your calendar of choice. If you do this it will save the link for you too. You can also find a copy of your link on the CPPE website in your pending bookings.
- You will need to be connected to the internet for the duration of the online workshop.
- To get the most from this workshop we recommend that you use a laptop or desktop computer.
- You will be asked to put your camera on and unmute yourself for some or all of the event.
- This event must not be undertaken while travelling, or in a public place.
- We expect you to prepare for our events by completing all pre-workshop activities. Details of these will be emailed to you by the lead tutor or can be found via your pending bookings.
If for any reason you cannot attend the event, you must cancel your place via your Pending bookings on the CPPE website. Failure to do this may result in a cancellation fee and restrictions being placed on your CPPE account.
Watch a video explaining what to expect from our online learning programmes
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians