This event is only for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians who are taking part in one of the primary care extended education pathways.
The overall aim of this programme is to raise your awareness of the challenges faced by people with a learning disability in using medicines, especially those with long-term conditions or taking multiple medicines. This will enable you to support people with a learning disability to optimise their medicines, health and wellbeing. It will also help you ensure that people with a learning disability have a review of psychotropic medicines and, if appropriate, a gradual reduction and withdrawal of medicines.
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- identify strategies to support people with a learning disability (and their carers) to optimise their medicines, health and wellbeing
- apply verbal and non-verbal communication techniques to engage people with a learning disability in discussions about their medicines
- describe how to appropriately involve carers, family members and support workers in the consultation and identify how to gain consent to do this
- explain the place for medicines use and non-pharmacological intervention in the treatment of behaviour that challenges
- distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate psychotropic prescribing for people with a learning disability
- identify people with a learning disability who may benefit from a review of psychotropic medication.
How to use this programme
Our online workshops are run using Zoom. You will have received a separate email (from the lead tutor via zoom) with a unique link to join this zoom event. Please do not share this link with others. The email allows you to add the event to your calendar of choice. If you do this it will save the link for you too. You can also find a copy of your link on the CPPE website in your pending bookings.
- You will need to be connected to the internet for the duration of the online workshop.
- To get the most from this workshop we recommend that you use a laptop or desktop computer.
- You will be asked to put your camera on and unmute yourself for some or all of the event.
- This event must not be undertaken while travelling, or in a public place.
- We expect you to prepare for our events by completing all pre-workshop activities. Details of these will be emailed to you by the lead tutor or can be found via your pending bookings.
If for any reason you cannot attend the event, you must cancel your place via your Pending bookings on the CPPE website. Failure to do this may result in a cancellation fee and restrictions being placed on your CPPE account.
Watch a video explaining what to expect from our online learning programmes
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians