This e-learning aims to enable pharmacists and technicians to offer a safe and effective pharmacy service for people in secure environments
On completion of all aspects of this programme you should be able to:
- list the different categories of prison and secure environment and explain the differences (include differences between public and private)
- discuss the roles and responsibilities of different prison staff, including healthcare staff
- describe the offender health pathway in relation to secure environments
- contrast the health and social care needs in a secure environment with those in the general population
- describe how prison health is regulated and how the prison regime impacts on healthcare delivery
- describe the secure environment healthcare service and the role that pharmacy has to play
- explain the risks associated with the storage, supply, administration and disposal of OTC medicines (including homely remedies), PGD medicines, POM medicines and controlled drugs in secure environments
- describe the minimum qualifications of the healthcare staff who request, prescribe, supply and administer medicines in a secure environment.
How to use this programme
On your computer: You can access this e-learning programme through your web browser on your computer. You will need to be connected to the internet while you work through it.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees
- CPPE registrants