This resource will help you work towards the National Centre for Smoking Cessation and Training (NCSCT) certification by acquiring the knowledge, developing the skills and demonstrating the behaviours necessary to provide effective support for smoking cessation.
You can view the web resources and relevant links required for this programme.
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- explain the harmful effects of smoking and the health benefits of stopping
- compare local and national smoking prevalence and patterns of smoking cessation across different demographics
- discuss the principles and effectiveness of behavioural support and pharmacological therapies to support smoking cessation
- assess a client’s commitment, readiness and ability to stop smoking and, where appropriate, assist a client to set a quit date
- apply evidence-based behavioural change techniques to tailor individual support for clients at different stages of a quit attempt
- apply appropriate behavioural support strategies to motivate a client to continue with a quit attempt
- demonstrate an effective approach to dealing with lapses
- improve the quality of stop smoking support provided, by offering constructive feedback to pharmacy team members
- construct an effective response to clients’ questions about stopping smoking and the various treatment options.
How to use this programme
You can download the materials you will need to run your event including a facilitator’s guide and any relevant presentations
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees