This all-day workshop will help those delivering NHS Health Checks to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to offer the service, commissioned through community pharmacy by local authorities, in many areas of England.
This workshop and the associated CPPE Vascular risk and NHS Health Check e-learning provides commissioners with a comprehensive training resource for pharmacy teams. However, it does not provide training on the Point of Care testing machines, which should be carried out by the machine manufacturers.
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- understand the aims of the NHS Health Check service and how this fits into current health policy
- define the term cardiovascular risk and recognise which vascular diseases are included in the NHS Health Check programme
- describe how health inequalities affect vascular risk
- know the eligibility criteria for the NHS Health Check
- describe all the tests and measurements that need to be performed during the NHS Health Check
- assess an individual’s risk of developing cardiovascular disease using appropriate evidence-based tools
- communicate cardiovascular risk and give advice to an individual in terms they will understand
- explain management options for modifiable risk factors, following an NHS Health Check, to help reduce the risk, delay and sometimes reverse the onset of vascular disease
- manage patients identified as having low, medium and high cardiovascular risk
- identify situations when it is necessary to refer patients to the GP or other services
- describe the payment claiming procedure and any necessary paperwork.
How to use this programme
When you book onto this workshop you will be able to access the resources that you need to complete your learning. If there is a pre-workshop book associated with your workshop, then this will be sent to you in the post and you will also be able to download it in PDF form.
At the workshop your facilitator will provide any materials for you to refer to and complete during the event.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees
- CPPE registrants