The aim of this programme is to support the development of your prescribing-related skills and knowledge to extend your scope of prescribing practice. It focuses on extending prescribing practice; we will assume that you are currently prescribing and are familiar with the underlying principles and guidance relating to prescribing.
It will give you the key principles to consider when extending your scope of prescribing practice. We will focus on using the activities of reflection, peer review, assurance of competence and prescribing governance to support your approach to the learning and development of new clinical skills and expertise. We will use the RPS prescribing competency framework for all prescribers throughout the programme.
After completing all aspects of this programme, including the self-directed activities, you should be able to:
- describe the key purpose and applications of current national guidance for pharmacist prescribers, including the RPS competency framework for all prescribers
- self-analyse your current practice to identify existing areas of prescribing competency, the current limits of your prescribing competence, and potential areas for the development of competence relevant to your own practice
- develop an action plan to extend your scope of prescribing within a defined area of competence using the RPS competency framework for all prescribers
- create a portfolio of evidence which documents the attainment and application of knowledge and skills under appropriate supervision to demonstrate competence within a defined area of prescribing
- demonstrate the ability to work within appropriate governance arrangements in relation to prescribing practice and demonstrate compliance with governance arrangements as a quality assurance measure
- create a plan for monitoring and evaluating your performance in your extended scope of practice.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Trainee pharmacists
- CPPE registrants