This e-learning programme will help improve your knowledge about the prevalence of overweight and obesity, the structure of weight management services in England and the structure and requirements of a tier two commissioned lifestyle weight management service.
It provides you with practical advice on how you can support patients on their own weight loss journey, including how to initiate the difficult discussion around weight management.
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- outline the epidemiology of obesity
- use appropriate equipment and techniques to measure and categorise a person's degree of overweight or obesity
- describe the determinants and health risks of being overweight or obese and the benefits of maintaining a healthy weight
- assess a person's readiness to lose weight and willingness to modify behaviour to achieve and maintain an appropriate target weight
- describe a range of motivational and behavioural techniques to support weight management
- discuss the role of diet, physical activity, medicines and surgery in the management of weight and provide practical healthy lifestyle advice
- select the most appropriate intervention or referral pathway to other primary/secondary care specialist services where necessary, in line with local and national weight management strategies
- describe and implement a community pharmacy weight management service.
How to use this programme
You can access this e-learning programme using a web browser on any device. You will need to be connected to the internet while you work through it.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees
- CPPE registrants