The aim of this programme is to enable pharmacy teams from all sectors to facilitate safe and effective transfer of care for patients when they move care setting.
In this programme we consider:
- why transfer of care needs to improve
- what a good transfer-of-care process for information about medicines should look like
- what actions pharmacy professionals need to take to make this happen.
We look at the tools and resources available to help you get the right processes in place and support patients effectively, particularly after discharge back into the community.
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- describe three reasons why transfer of care needs to improve and how pharmacy as a profession can help
- outline the roles of pharmacy professionals in different settings with respect to transfer of care
- describe what the pathway should look like for good transfer of care
- identify processes and standard operating procedures (SOPs) required to implement a good transfer-of-care pathway
- identify people, processes and services to support transfer of care in your locality
- interpret hospital discharge summaries and use the information to optimise patients' benefit from medicines and minimise risk when they transfer back into the community
- identify tools and resources to help you support transfer of care and patient outcomes
- signpost patients to support services offered by pharmacies after discharge from hospital.
How to use this programme
On your computer: You can access this e-learning programme through your web browser on your computer. You will need to be connected to the internet while you work through it.
On your tablet device: If you would like to access this programme on your Apple device you will need to download the free Articulate app. When you access the programme through the website, it will automatically open in Articulate. You can access this programme through your web browser on your Android device. Although you can access this programme on devices with smaller screens, we do not recommend this as there could be limitations to what you can view.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees
- CPPE registrants