This workshop programme is part of a range of learning materials which have been developed collaboratively by pharmacy organisations to support the introduction of the new medicine service (NMS). The learning materials consist of this open learning programme, a new medicine service CPPE local solutions workshop and a new medicine service CPPE e-learning video wall (available September 2011). All the materials have been designed to help you become a pharmacist leader in the setting up of a new medicine service in your practice, offering consistently high levels of patient care.
The open learning is considered the pre-event learning for this workshop.
On completion of all aspects of this programme you should be able to:
- understand why the new medicine service is important to patients, the pharmacy profession and NHS
- consider approaches to engage patients in understanding why they would benefit from taking their medicine
- taking a patient centred approach delivering the new medicine service which puts the patient at ease and encourages them to answer open and honestly and not be judged by their responses
- describe the steps of the new medicine service
- demonstrate good approaches to the patient consultations through role play
- construct an action plan for your pharmacy on the implementation of this service which manages differing priorities to maximise patient care.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees