This programme has been designed to assist pharmacy professionals to deliver high quality pharmaceutical care to people with learning disabilities, their relatives and carers. It highlights the specific health needs of people with learning disabilities while providing you with many additional sources of useful information.
Please note: this programme has been developed and provided by NHS Education for Scotland (NES). CPPE is grateful to our colleagues for allowing access to this programme. Users should recognise that this programme will refer to Scottish policies and organisations.
On completion of all aspects of this learning programme you should be able to:
- develop your knowledge of the key national policies, reports and targets supporting people with learning disabilities
- develop an understanding of the importance of consent in the context of someone with a learning disability
- have a basic understanding of the legal framework supporting people with learning disabilities
- have an awareness of the role of the pharmacist and pharmacy technician in providing pharmaceutical care for this group of people
- recognise that people with learning disabilities have differing and often complex health care needs leading to increased prescribing and risk of polypharmacy
- be aware of the presentation and management of common physical health disorders and multiple co-morbidities in people with learning disabilities
- appreciate the presentation and management of common mental health disorders in people with learning disabilities
- appreciate the characteristics and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder and how it presents and is managed in people with learning disabilities
- understand the characteristics, diagnosis and management of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children, adults and people with learning disabilities.
How to use this programme
On your computer: You can open this programme as a PDF in your web browser. We recommend that you download and save it to your computer and view it through Adobe Reader.
On your tablet device: If you would like to view this programme on your tablet device you can download the PDF and open it within a free PDF reader app. We have tested this type of programme in a few apps and found that it works in the Adobe Reader app on Android and Apple devices and the PDF Reader app on Apple devices.
Learning intended for
- Pharmacy technicians
- Pre-registration trainees